I built another raised laundry platform recently through my company Lone Pine Construction, a little different from the last couple I discussed in my previous built-in raised laundry platform post, and will show step by step how this one was constructed for those who would like to build one themselves.
Here’s a “before” shot of the laundry room:
I started by priming and painting the trim pieces, posts and plywood I would need for the project down in my basement:
Then I framed the lower platform (2×4’s every 16″). I allowed for enough space at the rear corner to hook up the dryer vent. I doubled up the 2×4 front to help support the weight from the posts above.
Then I flipped it over and nailed 2×4 sleepers to the bottom to give the lower platform enough height for its plywood top to cover the baseboards and rest flat against the walls.
Then I set it in place…
…and secured it with (1) 1/4″ x 4″ SPAX screw into each wall stud. I used a stud finder to locate these.
SPAX screws are skinnier-than-normal lag screws that do not require pre-drilling. They have a wide truss head and coarse threads and use a T30 star-shaped drill bit. They cost about $0.50 each at Home Depot. Here’s what they looks like:
Once the framed lower platform was secured in place, I cut and nailed the 3/4″ thick MDF trim to the front edges of the platform with some finish nails:
Next, I installed the lower platform top: a piece of high-grade birch plywood with some construction adhesive and finish nails. I left a half-inch overhang along the front and side.
Then I cut the posts for the front two corners…
…and fastened them in place with some 2-1/2″ coarse threaded screws. I pre-drilled the holes for these screws with a counter-sink drill bit to avoid splitting the wood and to helped sink the head of the screw.
This allowed me to wrap the bottom of the posts with MDF trim to hide the screws.
Next, I framed the top platform, again leaving space in the rear corner to run the dryer vent through, and doubling up the 2×4 across the front to strengthen the span between the front posts to support the weight of the washer and dryer.
I rested the top platform on the front posts, leveled it, and attached it to the walls using a SPAX lag screw into each wall stud.
I also attached the front corners of the top platform to the posts with some 2-1/2″ coarse screws. I pre-drilled these with a countersink drill bit.
I sheathed the top platform with 3/4″ (23/32″) OSB (wafer board).
I trimmed the front edges of the top platform with 3/4″ MDF similar to the bottom platform. Then I installed a piece of vinyl trim around the top edge leaving a 1/2″ overhang. (Vinyl trim holds up better in damp areas).
This vinyl trim would also serve as a boarder for the tile I would install on top.
The top of each post was wrapped with trim to match the bottom of the posts.
I installed a tile surface to finish off the top platform. It somehow turned out to where 4 full tiles fit perfectly across the front without any cuts required. I must confess I didn’t plan for this, but sometimes you just get lucky. :)
Then I filled all the nail holes, caulked trim joints, masked everything off, and applied one last coat of paint.
And here’s how it turned out:
DIY Material Cost Breakdown
- 2×4’s $40
- 4×4 post $10
- 4x8x3/4″ high grade birch plywood $50
- 4x8x3/4″ OSB $25
- 10d framing nails $15
- construction adhesive $5
- SPAX screws $10
- 2-1/2″ coarse screws $5
- trim $65
- finish nails $10
- tile materials $150
- painting materials $100